Connected: Lesson 4 – How to be An Effective Communicators
History of the nursery rhyme – “Sticks and Stones” is an English language children’s rhyme. It persuades the child victim of name-calling to ignore the taunt, to refrain from physical retaliation, and to remain calm and good-natured. (1862 – Wikipedia)
Today’s lesson is reference from Ephesians 4:25-32
Ephesians 4:25-28 – ‘Don’t look back in anger’
- Don’t lie
- Anger does not = sin, action from anger = sin
- There is a deadline for being angry
- Satan is waiting for you to screw up
Ephesians 4:29-30 – ‘Holy $h!t, don’t f@c#*n swear!’
- Staying away from gossip, foul language
- Taking a step back and responding appropriately
- Verbal – What was the most hurtful thing you’ve ever said?
- Social media, internet, email – longer lasting effect
Ephesians 4:31-32 – What list do these verses tell you to refrain from?
- Bitterness (resentment and keeping a record of wrongs)
- Rage (outbursts of rage)
- Wrath (ongoing attitude of hatred kept to one self)
- Shouting (loud, angry assertions to be heard)
- Slander (lying or spreading gossip to hurt someone)
- Malice (the intent to do harm to others)
Activity – Building each other up!
- Take a sheet of paper and have a friend use masking tape to help you attach it to your back.
- Take some time to look at your classmates and think about something positive to write to them about.
- When you’re ready, get out of your seats and start writing!
- *CHALLENGE: Post a picture of yourself with your words of encouragement/type them out and post it on your own wall.
We had the #ecbcbiblelife assignment for a couple weeks now and one of our students actually choose this verse and sent it to another person in this class. One can really see that student glow when we mentioned that we are going to look into this passage. This Little thing really put God’s plan into perspective. People are always looking for large scale miracles from God, but I think God choose to do these little, so-called “coincidence”, things in our life to make it more personal to each individual.
The activity today was a fantastic way to build relationship between members. The most inspirational part of this activity was the joy and laughter displayed on each student; as they are writing their positive statements for one another.