Presentation by Sylvana and Vivienne
This is the second presentation about Mormonism or a.k.a The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). Here are some of the notes they used in class for their presentation.
What is Mormonism?
- Mormonism is established in the mid 19th century. It was founded by Joseph Smith on April 6, 1830 in New York, US.
- The Mormon Church considers itself a restoration church. This means that members of the Church believe that it is the original Christian Church was started by Jesus Christ and was brought back (“restored”) by Joseph Smith. They do consider themselves as Christians.
- They believe in modern prophets, Christian Bible, the book of Mormons, Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price.
- They also believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy ghost which divided into three different individual beings.
- They practicing polygamy, wearing ceremonial temple garments in their daily clothing and also performing baptism for the dead.
YouTube: Video “What Mormons Believe”
We did spend some time on a few videos produced by The Mormon Channel to see how they present themselves to the general public. Here is one of the few that we watched in class:
Additional notes from the Teachers:
There was a lot of information to go through within that one-hour class time and I believe we barely scratch the surface about Mormonism. However, I do believe our students did gain some knowledge about the LDS and their belief. All in all, Sylvana and Vivienne did a great job of zero in on the necessary findings, then came up with a presentation that leads to some valuable in-class discussions.